Our certified child life specialist is available to help infants, children, youth, and families cope with the stress and uncertainty of illness, injury and treatment. Child life specialists provide evidence-based, developmentally-appropriate interventions to reduce fear, anxiety and pain during health care experiences. The child life specialist at Castleview Hospital can help children and families in the following ways:
- Prepare a child for a medical procedure using developmentally appropriate teaching techniques and play.
- Ease a child’s nervousness, anxiety, and fear by teaching coping techniques, engaging a child in therapeutic play activities, and providing outlets for healthy expression of feelings.
- Encourage cooperation by helping a child understand a medical procedure or medical diagnosis in child-friendly terms.
- Provide distraction, breathing techniques, or guided imagery to help with pain management.
- Advocate for family-centered care and help families understand their role in the treatment and healing process.
- Provide developmentally appropriate play experiences to normalize the hospital environment and help kids be kids.
- Assist a child’s sibling, or the child of an adult patient to cope with the experiences in the hospital.
- Conduct hospital tours
Pediatric Surgery Tour and Class
Every Tuesday from 5:00-6:00pm
Castleview’s Pre-Op Prep is a free class and tour for children ages 2-12 who are scheduled to have surgery or dental sedation. During class, children and parents will:
- Engage in a healthcare play activity to familiarize the child with the sights, and sounds of the hospital.
- Go on a guided tour of areas in the hospital that the child will see the day of surgery.
- Have an opportunity to ask questions and talk about their specific concerns about surgery with Castleview’s child life specialist.
Click the link below to schedule a class online, or call 435-636-4847.
(add button to schedule a class, that will email Belinda directly)
Field Trips and Group Hospital Tours
Interested in bringing your class or youth group to the hospital for a tour? Click the link below to schedule a tour
(add button to schedule a field trip)