Castleview Hospital is proud to offer bamlanivimab therapy, a new monoclonal antibody treatment for eligible positive COVID-19 patients.
- What is bamlanivimab or monoclonal antibody treatment?
Bamlanivimab is a monoclonal antibody treatment developed by pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly to help treat non-hospitalized patients with a mild or moderate case of COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2). Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory-made proteins that mimic the immune system's ability to fight off harmful viruses. This therapy is designed to help block the COVID-19 virus and prevent the virus from further infecting healthy cells.
Bamlanivimab may be used as a single therapy for treating patients with mild to moderate COVID-19.
- Who is a candidate for monoclonal antibody treatment?
Adults and adolescents 12 years of age or older with mild to moderate symptoms who weigh 88 pounds (40 kg) or more, and who are at high risk for developing severe COVID-19 symptoms or the need for hospitalization.
Patients must meet specific clinical criteria including:
- Lab-confirmed COVID-19 positive test
- Stable enough to not require hospitalization
- Be within 10 days of symptom onset
In addition to meeting the above criteria, patients must also have an order from a provider to receive this treatment.
- Who is not a candidate for this treatment?
This treatment will not be considered for patients who are currently hospitalized due to COVID-19, require oxygen therapy for COVID-19, and/or have a known hypersensitivity to bamlanivimab.
- How do I qualify for this treatment?
This therapy requires an order from a healthcare provider.
- Contact your primary care physician (PCP) to make an appointment, OR
- Call our Provider Referral Line (PRL) at 1.800.424.DOCS or visit our Find a Provider feature.
- What should I expect?
Your physician’s office will provide steps on how and where you will be receiving your treatment. Treatment is administered intravenously (using IV therapy). Patients receiving treatment at Castleview Hospital will be required to stay for a duration of 2 hours.